Call now: 844.NJ1CHOICE (844.651-2464)
7521 Bergenline Avenue, North Bergen, NJ 07047
The Facts About Auto Accidents
Consider the Facts
• Although the `rear-ender' type of accident represents only 20% of motor vehicle accidents, it causes over 80% of injuries giving long-term and persistent symptoms.
• A surprised accident victim does not have a chance to brace for impact which can result in more serious injury to the spine and nervous system.
• An older accident victim will generally suffer a more serious injury because of decreased elasticity, dramatic loss of flexibility and strength, and slowing of the natural healing rate.
• In general, a woman's lighter musculature means that she will have a higher incident of injury.
• In a typical collision, having the head turned to one side such as when talking to another passenger, can dramatically increase theamount of neck injury.
What Causes Whiplash?
A whiplash injury occurs when the head and neck are thrown very quickly in one direction and then rebounds in the opposite direction. Because the second, snapping motion happens faster than the spinal structure can recover, the muscles, ligaments, and bones in the neck are damaged. This type of injury can also occur in hard falls and diving accidents.
The greatest amount of injury in a typical rear-end collision is from the shifting about of the victim's spine. The more the vehicle is accelerated and propelled forward. The more “whipping” action occurs.
Studies indicate that injury can occur at impact speeds of 8 mph where there is little or even no damage to the car. Even in these types of accidents, the head can receive up to 2 1/2 times more force than the car itself.
When the head is rotated (as in talking to someone) or inclined, (as it may be looking up and out through the rear view mirror), the severity of the injury increases substantially.
Is the pain you are experiencing related to a minor fender-bender years ago? Whether it is a recent or an old injury, you can get help to lead a more active life.
50% of accident victims sustain injuries to the low back, and of these 15% develop serious nerve damage.
In addition to caring for your injury, we can provide a comprehensive evaluation of injuries sustained as a result of an automobile accident or fall and will provide your insurance company and/or attorney with full documentation of our findings. Our goal is to relieve pain and restore as much function as possible so that you can enjoy life again!
Schedule an appointment today!